Friday, May 1, 2015

Horrific Experience in London... Part 2

Part two started upon touch down in London.
First let me just say that flying over London was amazing!! I got to see some amazing views from the air. Places that I hope to one day see. (Check out the photos)
When we landed we were let out of the plane... but no ticket agents anywhere to be seen. They just told us to check the boards as we were exiting the craft. So to the board I went. But I didn't see my next flight on there. Ugh. NOT AGAIN! I decided to go ask whomever I could find. I followed the connecting flight passengers down to the terminals station. I asked one of the drivers (because in order to go from terminal to terminal you had to take a bus) where I could find information on my flight. He asked where I was going and I told him Jordan and he directed me to get on the bus for Terminal 5. So to the bus stop I went and waited. AND WAITED.
20 minutes later the bus showed up and took myself and the other travelers on this little adventure through the airport. We arrived at terminal 5, go up the escelator to the main floor and follow the crowd towards the gates. Then I spotted it. THE DEPARTURE BOARD. And there was my flight...AND there was the departure terminal... TERMINAL 1!!! Ugh. So back down to the bus I went. Still having seen no ticket agent for British Airways I made my way back over to terminal 1. Which, by the way, is under construction. When they drop you off at the terminal back entrance, you have a long walk and and confusing signs, then hit the first of the security check points. Here this nice older gentleman wanted to check my ticket. I explained that I didn't have one. He advised me to go through security and then stop at the British Airway desk and get my ticket. YAY! Someone who knew what I needed to do!
Going through their security is pretty much the same as when you fly out of America. Everything off and on the table, liquids and electronics in their own basket. Not a big deal. Except for when you forget too pull your toothpaste out of your carry on. *insert rolling of the eyes and a sigh*
After security you walk right into the the "under construction" wing of the airport. It is DESERTED! There were ticket agent booths but not an agent in sight."Oh bother." *in my best Eeyore voice* So I went exploring. I looked all over the place for signs of BA agents. But nothing. I found a really cute "Royal Mail'' post box. A couple duty free stores and restaurants. Cleaning staff. But no agents. On top of all of that...They don't post what gate you should go to until an hour before the flight. So everyone is in a holding station until that time.
With nothing to do and  4 hours to fill I went to the bathroom and changed my clothes, grabbed some yummy looking deli food from Pret Market and sat down to read. When I had about ten minutes before my gate was to be revealed I went to stand under the screen and wait for the information.
BAM! There it was (5 minutes late, I might add)! We were to head to gate 19. As the weary travelers herded down the terminal to gate 19 I was in the lead... well okay there were like 10 people ahead of me.
We all get to the gate and they start checking us in, reviewing passport and ticket, and making us sit in a new holding until they can check us one more time and push us onto the plane. It is my turn and I let the lady know that I don't have a ticket and that I was told it needed to be printed by the agent. She told me she didn't have time to do it, there was only on ticket checker working, and that I needed to sit and wait. AND WAIT. AND WAIT!!!
After everyone... except for the 2 people that came in late, where checked and boarding almost finished, I was helped. She called down to the luggage counter and then said something about me not checking in. HELLO!!! I DIDN'T HAVE A TICKET!!! And WHY? BECAUSE NO ONE WAS DOING THERE JOB!! The agent then couldn't get the ticket printer to work. *shaking my head* So I had to sit down again. Because she didn't have time to hand write me a ticket, there was another problem child that needed to be taken care of. *note the sarcasm* After everyone was boarded, she finally had time to HAND write my ticket so I could get on the plan. By this time I was frustrated, running on only 2 hours of sleep and I was freezing.
I walk down the plank and onto the plane, put my carry on into the over head bins. Walk back to my seat (a row of three chairs and there are only two of us to occupy said chairs). I take my seat, pull out my pillow, throw on the blanket, and close my eyes. Then the dreaded announcement....
"I am sorry to inform you but we are going to be delayed by 45 minutes on the tarmac. Sit back and relax, we will take off when we are given the clearance...." So that is what I did. I sat back and relaxed and fell asleep. Only to wake as the drink cart was passing and we were in the air. No first drinks for me. Luckily I had some water left in my water bottle.



I do have to say that flying over Greece at sunset was beautiful.

And British Airways (as does Delta) really know how to feed a person. Their dinner was really yummy.






No comments:

Post a Comment