Thursday, May 7, 2015

My media rant...

In America, I have noticed, that we are fed information by the media that we usually regard as infinite truth. We are blind to anything outside what the media has provided. Sometimes that is a good thing. But sometimes, as is this case, it is terribly wrong.

We grow up, or at least I did, believing that, in the Middle East all men and women are terrorist. And that there are very few people out there that are kind. Watching videos, that the media have provided, of men killing others, bombed out areas, malnutrition and the like, et cetera. And, don't get me wrong, there are places like that... BUT NOT HERE.

My first couple excursions out into the Jordan city life were very hard for me. I lived in constant fear that I was going to be one of the statistics. I wouldn't even smile at people in the grocery store without putting my head down first, almost like a child before being scolded. I was afraid that if I were to look at a Jordanian I would be arrested for violating their culture/religious beliefs.

And people starred at me...

They weren't staring at me for being an American. They weren't staring at me for not covering my bright red, frizzy hair. They weren't staring at me for wearing different clothes.

They were staring at me because I looked scared of them.

When I finally lifted my head I realized that a few of the things that set me apart from the other people walking in the store was that I was a red head with freckles, and I didn't speak their language.

I found that many of the woman, inside Amman city limits, were very cultured and didn't live by the traditional Muslim ways. They wore pants, capris, no head covering, makeup and lots of jewelry; there was laughter and lots of talking; they had the same emotions that I see all the time, happy, sad, perturbed.

I was no different then them except in appearance.

I have since changed the way I approach, or pass someone in the store. I look at them, smile and nod.

I feel so ashamed at saying that I was racist. I feel so ashamed that I let the media influence my way of thinking about these precious people. I will no longer take the media at face value. I will do due diligence and learn before I judge.



No comments:

Post a Comment